Recent Fire Damage Posts

Top 5 Common Causes of House Fires

1/27/2019 (Permalink)

Their is an average of 29 candle fires per day.

Top 5 most common causes of house fires as identified by the National Fire Protection Association.

  1. Candles

From 2007-2011, the NFPA says there were an average of 10,630 fires in the U.S. that were started by candles, causing 115 deaths, 903 injuries and approximately $418 million in property damage. That is an average of 29 candle fires per day.

Safety tips:

  • Never leave a candle burning near flammable items.
  • Never leave a candle burning in a child’s room or an unoccupied room.
  • Make sure candles fit securing into candle holders so they won’t tip over.
  • Blow out any candles before leaving a room or going to sleep
  1. Smoking

While the number of fires caused by smoking is trending downward, the NFPA found that there was still an average of 17,600 related fires per year resulting in 490 deaths and more than $516 million in property damage.

Safety tips:

  • If you smoke, consider smoking outside.
  • Use wide, sturdy ashtrays to catch butts and ashes.
  • Look for cigarette butts under furniture and between seat cushions to make sure no lit butts have fallen someplace where they can’t be seen.
  • Don’t smoke in bed, when you’re tired or around medical oxygen.
  1. Electrical & Lighting

According to the NFPA, in 2011 approximately 47,700 home structure fires were caused by some sort of electrical failure or malfunction. These resulted in 418 deaths, 1,570 injuries and $1.4 billion in property damage.

Safety tips:

  • Don’t overload outlets or electrical cords.
  • Make sure you have the right cord for the job – inside cords for inside, heavy duty/outside cords for outdoor use.
  • Don’t leave Christmas lights, Christmas trees, or halogen lights on overnight or when not at home.
  • Consider having an electrician perform an annual checkup of your home’s wiring.
  1. Dryers & Washing Machines

Clothes dryer fires happen more often than one might think, accounting for 16,800 home structure fires in 2010 and doing more than $236 million in property damage. 

Safety tips:

  • Clean the lint screen frequently and don’t run the dryer without it.
  • For gas and propane dryers, make sure there aren’t any leaks in the lines.
  • Vent the dryer to the outside of the house and ensure nothing blocks the vent pipe.
  • Clean the vent pipe and the area where the screen is housed.
  • Keep the area around the dryer free of combustible materials.
  1. Lightning

From 2007-2011, NFPA says there were an average of 22,600 fires per year caused by lightning strikes.

Safety tips:

  • Stay away from doors and windows during an electrical storm.
  • Do not use corded phones, computers, TVs or other electrical equipment during storms.
  • Unplug major electronics – TVs, stereo equipment, computers and microwaves to minimize damage if there is a lightning strike close by.
  • Avoid plumbing such as sinks, baths and faucets during a thunderstorm.

You experience a fire in your home, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO of Northwest Davidson County 615.876.9551

Fire Damage DOs and DON'Ts

7/17/2018 (Permalink)

Emergency Fire Damage Tips

DO

  • Keep hands clean
  • Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage.
  • Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.

DON'T

  • Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
  • Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting a SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
  • Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.

It may seem easier to try and take care of fire damage on your own, but more often than not, trying to clean with generic products only ruins the damaged area more. Call SERVPRO of Northwest Davidson County and we'll be there to help! 

Sun's Out, Grill's Out

6/11/2018 (Permalink)

Image belongs to the U.S Fire Administration.

As the summer season is quickly approaching us here in Nashville, SERVPRO of Northwest Davidson County wanted to remind everyone to exercise fire safety around your home. We all know that the first official sign of the summer season is when Dad decides to pull out his handy, dandy grilling apron. When using an open flame, the U.S. Fire Administration says that you should keep your grill at least 3 feet away from any structures. This ensures that the mixture of out-of-control flames and wind cannot reach your home, garage, or any other building that you may have in your backyard. Always be aware of other surrounding while you are grilling. Keep an eye out for children, pets, and small flammable objects to be sure that they stay away from the flames. When you practice the appropriate fire safety techniques, the only thing you have to worry about is keeping stains off of your lucky apron! We wish everyone a great summer and happy grilling!

Commercial Fire Damage, Nashville TN

3/17/2017 (Permalink)

On St. Patrick's Day, SERVPRO of Northwest Davidson County was called out to help mitigate fire and water damages in a distribution warehouse in Nashville TN.


Although this photo appears to be hazy, it is just a realistic aftermath of a major fire. There is no power and most components inside have melted.


To most, cleaning and restoring this damage seems like an insurmountable task. It could be the luck of the Irish, it could be that we always wear green, or it could be unmatched training and expertise that will allow us at SERVPRO of Northwest Davidson County to have them back up and running in no time.